Did you know that on average, couples wait about six unhappy years before they seek the help they need!
Yet every relationship faces challenges: communication issues, trust, respect; demands on time and space; intimacy issues; parenthood; mid-life crises; changing values, behaviors and opinions; financial stress; and infidelity. Every relationship has its issues!
You can either make an appointment with me as solo therapist or join me along with my colleague for a 2×2 session. You may be wondering what the benefits are of seeing a co-therapy team?
The Advantages of Co-therapy are many:
- The two therapists embody and model (both verbally and non-verbally) emotional congruence, high self-esteem and clear and direct communication;
- It brings widened perspectives and opens the door for a broader range of therapeutic interventions;
- Offers the opportunity for a wider point of view and provides the client with twice as many options. The client can choose which fits him or her best;
- Enables the possibility for a widened transference possibility for the client/patient;
- Provides greater learning opportunities for the clients;
- Corrects for emotional and perceptual bias in the other therapist;
- The practitioner can avoid assuming the dual relationship of both individual and couples therapist;
- Both partners are equally advantaged as the couples therapists are there for the couple;
- Helps avoid therapist bias or perceptions by one partner that the other partner is being favored so that both partners can feel equally supported;
- Information shared in a one on one session is not accidentally leaked into a couples session, particularly if the therapist forgot that this information was shared individually, not in couples counselling;
- Couple counselling can at times be quite challenging and it allows the therapists to support each other too;
- Enables both therapists to have two sets of eyes and different perspectives on the issues;
- Provides an opportunity for therapists to check and balance their complementary behaviour;
- Allows the therapists to model transactional and interpersonal behaviour between peers for our clients’;
- It also allows one therapist to participate in the session while the other facilitates, coaches and observes.
- It does not cost more than the usual couple therapy session.
So come and give it a go!